This Saturday May 24th anyone who lives within a gas tank’s drive of Guelph has an opportunity to do the following …
- Do something good by raising $$ for the Bracelet of Hope
- Drink the queen of Ontario wine – Riesling
- Meet the Godfather of Ontario wine – Donald Ziraldo, Order of Ontario, Order of Canada ! [I don't have either one of those - do you?]
My man Orest, at the Scottsdale LCBO, is running another of his brilliant tasting events Saturday from noon – 4 pm. For $10 [donation to Bracelet of Hope] you get to try samples of Ontario Riesling, meet owners and wine makers, eat delicious food, meet the Godfather, and shake hands with the irrepressible Orest Poluch [once you meet him you'll see why he can't be repressed]. Here’s some of the information that you may need to convince you to tell one and all and make it to this event.
Orest has named this event the 8th Annual Ontario Consumer Riesling Challenge despite me lobbying him to rename it Riesling for the Republic or alternately Ziraldo’s Here! Get Your Butt On Over
Confirmed wineries below: if looking at #15 doesn’t get you excited about next Saturday then nothing will.
1. BURNING KILN WINERY ( wine maker present )
2. CHARLES BAKER WINE
3. CALAMUS ESTATE WINERY
4. COFFIN RIDGE VINEYARD & WINERY
5. COOPER’S HAWK VINEYARDS
6. FEATHERSTONE ESTATE WINERY & VINEYARD ( winemaker/owner present )
7. FOREIGN AFFAIR WINERY ( owner present )
9. MIKE WEIR
10. PONDVIEW ESTATE WINERIES
11. ROSEWOOD ESTATES WINERY ( winemaker present )
12. SUE-ANN STAFF ESTATE WINERY ( winemaker present)
13. SPRUCEWOOD SHORES ESTATE WINERY
14. TAWSE WINERY
15. ZIRALDO ESTATE WINERY ( owner present ) Donald Ziraldo, Order of Canada, hon Doctorate Brock U
Local food purveyors involved:
Ouderkirk & Taylor will be providing cheese/preserves
Rheo Thompson from Stratford providing chocolate.
Bread by (Quican Inc. ) Quentin William Johnson
Greek Olive oil from TITHOREA a new retailer dealing specifically in olive oil from Greece.
A new southwest French inspired bakery in town called Eric the Baker will provide sweet and savouries.
And Guelph’s own Planet Bean (100% Organic, Fair Trade coffee). Showcasing a new coffee from Congo.