I have recently come to the conclusion that I have the gift of making great gravy. I think that’s important. In fact I think some of you right now are saying “I wish I knew how to make great gravy”.
- French copper pot purchased in Paris (point of purchase optional)
- A whisk, some butter, some flour to make a slightly browned roux
- Drippings from the meat that you just cooked
- Boiling water from a kettle and a small amount of a stock cube
- A good glug or two of what ever red wine you’re drinking.
My guess is that the glug of red wine makes all the difference.
What wine do you use to make gravy?
My favourite gravy quote comes from a Simpsons episode.
Dr. Hibbert: Well, your cholesterol level is lethally high, Homer, but I’m more concerned about your gravy level.
Homer Simpson: Now, wait a second. You doctors have been telling us to drink eight glasses of gravy a day!
Dr. Hibbert: [laughs] Well, you’re a little confused.
Homer Simpson: Oh, confused, would we?