Summer starts with Wimbledon. There is something about the upper echelon of British snobbery that titillates my senses. This is the type of elitist conversation that I trust is happening at the All England Club this week.
- “Only a cad plays tennis on anything but grass”
- “Only a slack-jawed hillbilly wears anything but tennis whites”
- “Only people with new money talk during a tennis match”
Is there a more aristocratic way of watching a sporting event than a bowl of strawberries and cream? The good old boys ain’t doin’ that at a NASCAR event!
The catering company that works Wimbledon goes through 28 000 kg of strawberries and 7 000 litres of cream to satisfy the visitors. This is what people drink:
- 25 000 bottles of champagne
- 100 000 pints of draught beer and lager
- 200 000 glasses of Pimms
- 250 000 bottles of water [why so much water when there is champagne?]
- 300 000 cups of tea and coffee [and only 3 of those cups are coffee]
What do we watch the Wimbledon final with in my house? Strawberries, cream, and champagne. Yes the final is a little early in the morning to be drinking champagne over here on this side of the pond but those expensive tiny bubbles are a great chaser to my morning double espresso.
Lanson is the official champagne of Wimbledon – it’s $53, but the price of true snobbery should be expensive. Otherwise everybody would be doing it.
LANSON BLACK LABEL BRUT CHAMPAGNE
LCBO 215962 | Price $ 53.95