2015 is not a leap year – at least we don’t get a leap day. However thanks to the fine work of the people at the International Earth Rotation and something something service, we get a leap second this summer! Who knows why – i’ve read dozens of web sites about it and i think some Time Lord is doing something on the Space-Time continuum and doing Doctor Who-knows-what with our clocks.
Here are my options of what to do with my extra second?
- Cook 1 second’s worth of minute rice
- Slowly spell “Mississippi” or alternately count “one steamboat”
- Give my second away to a friend so that they have two [which now that i write that seems rather reckless to throw a precious gift like this away]
- Sneak in another double espresso that i thought i didn’t have time to drink
- Carefully manipulate that second to improve the timing on a great joke
- Fire a champagne cork across my back yard at the neighbour’s house
Oooh, maybe I can carefully coordinate my family to do the minute rice, Mississippi, double espresso, tell a joke, and champagne cork all at the same time. Sign up now kids for the one you want – Dad’s having fun again!
Why do we need a leap second? It’s all right here Leap Second 2015
What am I drinking to celebrate my new found leap second? Well at 400 bubbles per second a glass of wine seems like the only rational choice. Segura Viudas Reserva Cava, $14.95. I don’t have the time to get too technical about the tasting notes but suffice it to say that it is delicious and reminds me of a white bubbly wine that tastes like grapes.